Under Rydon Hill

Welcome to this blog about my time away from the tedium of domestic management. Once called "Tits and Things", now sub-titled "Life in Quantoxia", there's plenty of bird ringing (90%), some odd bits of general birding, some local steam trains, some personal bits and occasional 'away days' in other parts of Britain. Rydon Hill overlooks the lower valley of the Doniford Stream, where most of these activities take place.

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Havin' a Brue


I managed to sneak in some ringing before the weather turned and the builders created havoc. The above Song Thrush had been visiting the rockery every morning for some time now but it didn't have a ring on. I knew this must be the "wife" of the male Song Thrush that defends the Elm hedge at the bottom of the garden. She at last fell victim after I moved the 9m net to a place where I had no idea I would catch her. Her brood patch indicated that she has been sitting on eggs for some while and hatching cannot be far off.

The following is one of the pair of Jackdaws that is nesting close by in a neighbours chimney. A very wary pair of birds. I think I'll get the whoosh net out and the rest of the grain shortly after their young fledge. I've tried this trick before - but these Jacks are not the easiest of birds to catch as they are so quick to react ... and escape in the nick of time!


For a couple of days, this pair of Siskins has been 'twittering' up in the Ash trees. I presume that they have been coming to the feeders once or twice a day. It was a pleasant surprise to find them on either side of the net, just as the weather threatened to worsen. He was a splendid 3CY+ bird, while she was a 2CY female with a red and wrinkly brood patch indicative of 'young in the nest'. They were processed quickly as a consequence; the nest site cannot be that very far away, either.



I had a meet with a land agent down on the Somerset wetlands. We walked around some areas where they will let us ring, much of it I had been round before. I was taken into an area where a lot of "re-landscaping" was going on for the eventual benefit of reed-bed birds and mammals; this is relatively dry at the moment but will be re-flooded. The public will be able to view the area from a tower hide but access will be limited (for obvious reasons, i.e. disturbance). They are keen for us to add to the overall species database for the valley in order to improve management and coordination across all the many small and large sites that are now set aside for nature conservation. For the first couple of years we may have to 'rove about' somewhat in order to get a measure of the task ahead.

A couple of typical landscape shots follow but not of our exact net sites.


2 comments:

  1. Good to see you're getting a few birds Errol. We're plagued by stiff winds at the moment preventing us from mist netting. It's looking better over weekend so fingers crossed! Cheers, Seumus

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weather's rather put the kybosh on it; inch and half of rain so far this week and strong winds, thunder/lightning, hail, etc.

      Delete