Under Rydon Hill

Welcome to this blog about my time away from the tedium of domestic management. Once called "Tits and Things", now sub-titled "Life in Quantoxia", there's plenty of bird ringing (90%), some odd bits of general birding, some local steam trains, some personal bits and occasional 'away days' in other parts of Britain. Rydon Hill overlooks the lower valley of the Doniford Stream, where most of these activities take place.

Saturday, December 21, 2013

To B or not; 2 B.

We were informed at Conference that RIN had upped the ring size to be used on all Dunnocks and Yellowhammers to B. Of course, I then had to catch two Dunnocks when I got back and duly obliged by putting on the new ring size, ahead of the official email from Thetford that came yesterday.

The weather has almost forced a complete shut-down, it has been so awful. Squally winds have been the culprit and we're not out of it yet - Monday promises a right hooligan of a storm. Any road, I have managed to keep up the general monitoring of the garden birds by being prepared to open and close at short notice!

Visiting Mrs. Magpie
Now the good news. Number 1 surprise was an adult MAGPIE in the net with a ring already on, that no-one locally owns up to. Then came notice of a "virginal" male SISKIN that I caught in February being recaptured in Kent during April (that's 290+ km east of here); not had one from that direction, although we used to get a lot of east-west movements in Surrey. Thirdly, I re-caught a male BLACKCAP (for the fifth time) that I originally ringed in January 2012, then trapped again in January this year; it's probably one of those central European breeders that comes west in winter instead of moving south like 'normal' Blackcaps. It just happened to be in the net early one morning with THREE others.

Mr. "I'm back again" Blackcap
Goldfinches featured highly again. I've handled 418 different birds this year so far, with 77 same-year recaptures. L890862, an adult male, has succumbed to my SFH charms five times (should know better); he was a 3J in September '11. Two birds, both males, were ringed consecutively on 17th March '11; also, both of them were caught together on 14th inst. Two of the re-trapped Long-tailed Tits were ringed in early 2011 as well.

To cut to the chase:-
Magpie - 1 control
Goldcrest (1)
Blue Tit 3 (3)
Great Tit (1)
Long-tailed Tit (12)
Blackcap 2 (2)
Blackbird 3 (1) - no real "biggys" yet
Robin (2)
Dunnock 2 (3)
Goldfinch 22 (15)
Totals - 32 new, 41 retraps, 10 species

A Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all my (Christian) readers and I extend the best of Solstice and Seasonal Greetings to those who are not.

PS. The young cat has hurt her front leg and is confined to barracks - so that's one logistical problem sorted!
Liquorice "hors de combat"
nmbx

4 comments:

  1. Really interesting that you're still getting lots of BLACA this winter. In our Oxon village there haven't been any all winter, which I've put down to loads of fruit being available in the hedgerows (plenty of apples still on the trees at Christmas!). There's usually a good dozen or so scattered around the various garden feeders locally, but so far...zip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have ringed 20 new Blackcaps since mid-November (to date) in our garden, plus 2 returning birds from previous winters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that is unusual, catching a Maggie and a ringed one at that. The storms are a pain like you say. More to come next weekend. Roll on summer. All the best wishes for 2014 to your and yours from "oop North".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Weather has certainly been the bane of your existence this year.

    ReplyDelete