Under Rydon Hill

Welcome to this blog about my time away from the tedium of domestic management. Once called "Tits and Things", now sub-titled "Life in Quantoxia", there's plenty of bird ringing (90%), some odd bits of general birding, some local steam trains, some personal bits and occasional 'away days' in other parts of Britain. Rydon Hill overlooks the lower valley of the Doniford Stream, where most of these activities take place.

Monday, September 26, 2011

MP8

No, not a mis-print, MP3 = MP 13 last week. Did manage to get out early, even though the winds were a bit stronger than I would have liked. The sun also becomes a problem from 9am (currently) on a site without much cover and what there is is in the wrong direction for any 'shade'.

The week-end's ringing resulted in 28 birds of which 4 were re-traps. 11 species were caught, one of which was new for this sub-site. I have caught a Treecreeper in the garden at the end of winter last, but it was a pleasant surprise to get one working the willows and alders along the stream. Maybe there are more, who knows?


Things have certainly slowed up just recently and we are back to more 'resident fare' such as Dunnock, Robin and the tits.


Today's "Prunes" were the 25th/26th ringed in just a relatively small area here.

But for the moment, there are some late migrating Blackcaps and Chiffchaffs still to be caught, plus, with the help of a 'tape lure', the Meadow Pipits which are now well and truly on the move through here. I just love that cryptic head pattern from above. As for the 'luring', I suppose that I caught roughly 10% of the birds passing overhead; a bit of a guess, but I think about every other one that ventured near the net(s) did not feel the urge to get ringed but flew off after a couple of minutes to join the cavalcade south.


Rest of the week: for 'the meadows' excl. 21/09's birds
Blue Tit 1 (1)
Great Tit 1 (1)
Chiffchaff 1
Blackcap 2
Treecreeper 1
Wren 1 (1)
Blackbird 1
Robin 1 (1)
Dunnock 2
Meadow Pipit 11
Chaffinch 2

Total 24 (4), 11 spp.

It won't be long now before the thrushes descend upon us; I am hoping to 'harvest' a few before the clocks go back, as the meadows may well become a 'bit of a birding desert' over the winter, especially as far as small birds are concerned.

Congratulations to the newly wed Mr & Mrs L. Barber.

1 comment:

  1. That 10% sounds familiar + 10% that Houdini out of the net.

    ReplyDelete