Under Rydon Hill

Welcome to this blog about my time away from the tedium of domestic management. Once called "Tits and Things", now sub-titled "Life in Quantoxia", there's plenty of bird ringing (90%), some odd bits of general birding, some local steam trains, some personal bits and occasional 'away days' in other parts of Britain. Rydon Hill overlooks the lower valley of the Doniford Stream, where most of these activities take place.

Friday, September 16, 2011

Getting autumnal

The leaves are beginning to turn on the trees and the mornings, apart from being darker, are colder and with a dampness in the air. Ringing has been hit and miss with a couple of early morning garden sessions and, likewise, a couple on the water meadows. The winds have had a southerly component, so not alot of 'joy' in the nets. Nevertheless, it's all 'good stuff' and grist to the mill. I am still on course for 2,000 new birds for the year for the 1km square where I live.

Garden birds:
Blue Tit 1 (1)
Great Tit 1 (1)
Coal Tit 1
Long-tailed Tit 2 (2)
Chiffchaff 1
Blackbird (1)
Robin 1 (2)
Goldfinch 6


3J female Goldcrest, mid Sept. On passage?

Down-along-the-stream birds:
Goldcrest 1
Long-tailed Tit (1)
Chiffchaff 12 (2)
Blackcap 6
Wren 1
Robin 1 (2)

Whilst processing a Blackcap on day 2, I noticed that 3 Chiffchaffs had gone into net 2 all of a sudden. Turning back to the job in hand, out of the corner of my eye, I glimpsed a Woodpigeon heading that way. Lo and behold, it hit the 40' net at full tilt - and out sprang the 3 Chiffs! What a b*gg*r!

Other birds seen - 3-4 Buzzards wheeling over the house and the meadows (the local pair and their off-spring), very few Swallows now, just the 1 local family brood and small parties south every now and then, the local House Martins, a couple of Great Spots, a Green Woodpecker (red-letter day!), a family party of Magpies with still reliant (begging) young, a Green Sand, the first 3 Mipits of the "winter", a lone Sky Lark south, a flock of perhaps 2 dozen Goldfinches (yippee!) and 4 Little Egberts (that I managed to photograph in the tree overlooking the ford; the closest I got with my 'teeny-weeny' camera was 60-70m)

1 comment:

  1. Bad luck with the chiffs E. I'd definitely swop 3 chiffs for a woopi cushion.

    ReplyDelete