Under Rydon Hill

Welcome to this blog about my time away from the tedium of domestic management. Once called "Tits and Things", now sub-titled "Life in Quantoxia", there's plenty of bird ringing (90%), some odd bits of general birding, some local steam trains, some personal bits and occasional 'away days' in other parts of Britain. Rydon Hill overlooks the lower valley of the Doniford Stream, where most of these activities take place.

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Thank you, Bob.

After Sunday morning's session, I entered up the records into IPMR and ran a grand total for "ROU" (here). I noticed that there were 978 new records in the database since I started ringing at my new home, back in mid January of this year. I also noticed that the following day (Monday) would be the end of a 6 month period. Aha - thinking cap on. Could I make the magic 1,000 before the shutters came down on 'my first six months'?

With 24 hours to go, I opened the three garden nets that were already up (100' or 30m). By 2.30pm I had bagged 9 new birds, plus one of the first birds I ever ringed here, a female Coal Tit. That was nice. I started thinking that I needed to get a hurry on, so I decided to take me off, later, down the road to the water meadows. Both sites are in the same 1km grid square.

Just before 5pm, I set up 2x 40' (9m) nets, one at Net site 2, where there was a bit of shade, and the other in the corner of the first field, where the Elm hedge does a dog-leg and it would catch the evening sun. All I had to do was catch 13 new birds. It could be easier said than done. Fingers crossed.

A quick start with 2 Blackcaps and a Chiff in Net 2. Dead over by the hedge. Then something wriggling; a very juvenile Greenfinch which needed careful handling. Half an hour gone. One hour gone. Ninety minutes gone. Sandwich and a coffee. Ah!
Three birds in the net nearest, a Chiff, a Blackbird and a 'pregnant' Wren. Six needed for the magic "one thousand". [ Don't know why I'm getting worked up - I'm not a lister, by nature]. Two more over by the hedge, both Chiffs - and one's already ringed. Damn, five to go!

Another pull on the coffee flask. 7pm. A flurry of interest over in the corner. A mixed flock of Phylloscs and Lottis; now's my chance! It turned out that most went round the back of the far pole (it's a very wide hedge, fenced both sides, with a ditch in the middle). However, the haul did turn up two Chiffs, a Dunnock, a Blackcap with a spastic left leg and one of yesterday's juvenile Lottis. That still left one more new bird needed. Can't be left on 999 now! Busy myself with trimming back a large Willow that is slowly falling over and beginning to block the gateway into the second meadow.

7.30pm. Nothing. All quiet. Feed dog and eat other sandwich.

Is that something wriggling, tight to the far pole on the 'sunny' net? Yes! Looks like a Robin! Yes, it was and a 3P, at that, i.e. a this year's youngster coming to the end of its post-juvenile moult and looking resplendant in its 'red jacket'. Thank you, "Bob", - or L890642 as you will be known from here on in!

Needn't have worried unduly as three more Chiffs also went into the same net while I was chatting to the land owner on one of his quick visits, not to see me but to inspect the Willow. I think it's for the chop.

Chop-chop. Back later with more at the weekend.

Top 10 species (of 34) ringed 12-01-11 to 11-07-11:
1 Goldfinch 234
2= Greenfinch, Blue Tit 85
4 Blackbird 77
5 Long-tailed tit 73
6 Blackcap 65
7 Brambling 52
8 Chiffchaff 47
9 Siskin 42
10 Great Tit 40
... and NO Starlings!

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed the Countdown tale E. Now for the next thousand, no problem.

    ReplyDelete