This has meant opening one or two 9m (30') nets when I get up around half-five for a couple of hours until breakfast time or waiting for the afternoon's heavy showers to pass, thereby getting a late bird, usually around nine (half an hour before sunset)
On one of these "wet" afternoons I was taking the dog for a walk up to the farmhouse(s) at Egrove when I bumped into the retired NT manager. It turns out we have a common background at Felbrigg through a one-time forester called Kremer. I digress. There is a wonderful couple of stands of Viper's Bugloss along here and that day we were lucky enough to see a Hummingbird Hawk Moth zipping round several of the flower heads before zooming off at very high speed in a northerly (seaward) direction.

Viper's Bugloss Echium vulgare
Well, the week's 5-day, miserable total of 15 new and 10 re-traps was as follows:
Blue Tit 1 (1)
Great Tit 3 (1)
Coal Tit 1 - a moulting juv
Long-tailed Tit 2 (6)
Blackbird 1 (1)
Blackcap 2 (1)
Robin 1
Dunnock 1
Pied Wagtail 1
Chaffinch 1
Greenfinch 1

Coal Tit - juvenile starting post juvenile moult
Thankfully the coming weekend looks alot calmer and brighter, with just the odd (lighter) shower. And the village fete on Saturday. Umm.
Down the lane, by one of the old mill sites, is this, the biggest Wayfaring Tree I have ever seen. It has a spread of almost 30 feet (9m).

[Excuse the quality - I blame the weather!]
No comments:
Post a Comment