Under Rydon Hill

Welcome to this blog about my time away from the tedium of domestic management. Once called "Tits and Things", now sub-titled "Life in Quantoxia", there's plenty of bird ringing (90%), some odd bits of general birding, some local steam trains, some personal bits and occasional 'away days' in other parts of Britain. Rydon Hill overlooks the lower valley of the Doniford Stream, where most of these activities take place.

Friday, May 27, 2011

The Long-tailed Tits have fledged

A couple of evenings this week I've been able to open 70' of net in the orchard part of the garden. It has been a bit of a Long-tailed Tit fledging period.

So far I have ringed broods of 8, 8, 9, 6 & 8, all with at least two, if not three, adults. I have also ringed the first free-flying juvenile Blue Tit; I haven't yet found out which neighbours have boxes that are used regularly.

Bag of Long-tailed Tits

Handful of (young) Long-tailed Tits

Two site ringing ticks broke up the proceedings - first an adult male Jay (also a garden tick)

... I did let it go ... eventually!

and shortly after, a Mistle Thrush, a species I've not done for a while. This one was a 2CY female with a BP4. They nest over the road and take possesion of our large Holly tree in the autumn come berry time.

Apols for the poor quality - camera on wrong setting. Nice of the Weigela, though!

Forecast is for wind and rain over the weekend. Tonight was only feasible because the wind was NW/NNW and we are sheltered by a belt of trees.

Two-night's tally came to 39 and 9 "passes":-
Jay 1
Blue Tit 2 (1)
L-T Tit 27 (5) + 1 control
Blackbird 6 (1)
Mistle Thrush 1
Robin 2
House Sparrow (1)

No comments:

Post a Comment