Under Rydon Hill

Welcome to this blog about my time away from the tedium of domestic management. Once called "Tits and Things", now sub-titled "Life in Quantoxia", there's plenty of bird ringing (90%), some odd bits of general birding, some local steam trains, some personal bits and occasional 'away days' in other parts of Britain. Rydon Hill overlooks the lower valley of the Doniford Stream, where most of these activities take place.

Sunday, May 1, 2011

All quiet

This last week has been characterised by moderate winds from the north-east, warm daytime temps. and many sunny days and nippy nights. As the week progressed it got gloomier but still no rain to freshen things up. Definitely not ringing weather. Just as well as I was busy away from home. I did, however, hope to get some ringing done in a Bucks wood - but the electronic key would not open the gates.

As it is, I got in a couple of hours this morning at dawn. Fortuitous really, as the weather turned quite stormy later (wind and dark clouds, no rain - yet!). Not much to report barring I re-caught all four Robin chicks and their dad. The youngsters are much bigger although still not fully grown, with wing lengths 10mm greater than last week. All have lost their "chubbyness" but maintain a reasonable weight. It looks like 2 males and 2 females going by their sizes.

I also caught (by hand) a 1J Blackbird after a cat provoked early fledging, this bird having decided to come into our garden from the dividing hedge while the rest of 'his' siblings went the other way. Our young Lakeland Terrier turned 'pointer', kindly cornering it for me.


Rubbish totals:
Collared Dove 1 ad fem
Willow Warbler 1 ad fem (above)
Wren (1)
Blackbird 1 (1)
Robin (5)
Goldfinch 1 ad fem

No comments:

Post a Comment