Under Rydon Hill

Welcome to this blog about my time away from the tedium of domestic management. Once called "Tits and Things", now sub-titled "Life in Quantoxia", there's plenty of bird ringing (90%), some odd bits of general birding, some local steam trains, some personal bits and occasional 'away days' in other parts of Britain. Rydon Hill overlooks the lower valley of the Doniford Stream, where most of these activities take place.

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Bird (sp)ringing!

After the snow storm had turned to slush, I just had to put a net up. Today, Sunday, is a good deal warmer than yesterday, despite it having been sunny then. It's what is known as "a grey day" at present.

 

Initially, two new male Chaffinches, both 2CY, fell in. The second bird was much heavier and was in far better condition than the first. It had little fat and was 17.5% lighter than its congener.Next up was a female Dunnock. I gave her a good blow and she revealed a brood patch at stage 2 (well defined - almost).

Next up was a 5F Goldfinch from 3 weeks ago. Then, the above Wren. I had seen her, for she too was getting a brood patch, in the bottom of a Berberis pulling away at something. Initially, I thought it was a bent and the bird in question was the above Dunnock, but with the bins I could see it was a Wren, pulling away at something fatter. The bird kindly moved to where there was more light and unobscured from my vision. Lo and behold, it was hacking away at a long, fat, pale green, juicy caterpillar! Eventually, after cutting it in two, it ate it - with difficulty. Luckily, I netted her as she returned to the shrubbery for more; last November, she was a 3F.

Todays tally for a couple of hours effort was:
Wren (1)
Dunnock (1)
Greenfinch 1
Chaffinch 2
Goldfinch 1 (1)

A relaxing morning after yesterday - looking after the grandchildren for 10 hours while No.2 son moved into his new house. Now the sun is out and I can put on my wellies and go and top up the feeding station.


No comments:

Post a Comment