Under Rydon Hill

Welcome to this blog about my time away from the tedium of domestic management. Once called "Tits and Things", now sub-titled "Life in Quantoxia", there's plenty of bird ringing (90%), some odd bits of general birding, some local steam trains, some personal bits and occasional 'away days' in other parts of Britain. Rydon Hill overlooks the lower valley of the Doniford Stream, where most of these activities take place.

Sunday, February 14, 2010

For the second time ...

... this month, I caught a Collared Dove. More often than not, they forcefully manage their way out of the net. These two times, I've been on hand, seen them go in - and pounced! Today's victim!



As a by-catch (I kid myself), I caught four Goldfinch, three new and one recapture. The retrap was a bird of last year and all the others, 2 males and a female, were all full on adults. The bird in the photo gave me "an old fashioned look" before I let it go.




The Snowdrops have been out for over a fortnight now. These are genuine Yorkshire ones.

 

The weather forecast promises a deteriorating situation for the coming week. I've another busy schedule so I won't be so miffed if ringing is off the cards!

Another tough old bird is Jenny's mum. She's got to hang in there for another 10 hours until the morning - when she will have reached the ripe old age of 95! Happy Birthday, Margaret.

2 comments:

  1. What's the difference between a Yorkshire snowdrop and an ordinary one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are special ones from the Yorks/Lincs border where they grew in profusion in all the woods and lanes/verges. They only grow about 2" high.

    ReplyDelete