... and the sun has returned. However, the last few days have been blustery, mainly from the north-west or west, and interspersed with showers. Bird-life has dwindled apart from the sparrows raiding the bird table alongside the camellia. Not many to show for it because I didn't put up the net between their favourite "entry bush" and their dinner. [You need to read also the post prior to this one, below]. I did keep the net between the SFH feeders in the orchard with much better results yesterday. Bingo! lots of 3J King Harrys; my favourite species at the moment.
The meadows were disappointing this weekend; perhaps I chose the wrong day. There just weren't the birds about. In two-plus hours I caught two birds and saw a Kingfisher. The only other birds were some Chaffinches moving noisily between the tops of the alders.
I've added in some photos from last week as well as this.
| On of the three female Sparrowhawks that are all too apparent at the moment |
| Juvenile Chiffchaff in heavy PJ moult (with 3 ogc's) |
| Young Coal Tit (showing the white nape patch) |
Progress over the past six days: 77 new and 11 re-traps. All birds trapped were juveniles apart from a 2010 vintage, male Blue Tit on his fifth encounter with the human hand.
Great Spotted Woodpecker 1 (male)
Blue Tit 3 (6)
Great Tit 2 (1)
Coal Tit 2 - 2nd & 3rd for the year
Long-tailed Tit (2)
Chiffchaff 1
Blackcap 1
Whitethroat 1
Blackbird (1)
Robin 1 (1)
Dunnock 4 - still they come after a "disappearing act"
House Sparrow 4 (1) - see above
Greenfinch 3
Goldfinch 54 (1) - now over 400 for the year (all in the garden)
| Prince Harry? (Juvenile Goldfinch in advanced PJ moult) |
No comments:
Post a Comment