This brings things up to date. It covers a 12 day period, ending today. I was hoping to include something about the SW Ringers' Conference at Seaton that is on today, but the blessed shingles prevented me from going (more specifically, the pain and the pills). I apologise to those friends I was unable to meet up with; some other time, perhaps?
| The first female Chiffchaff - 03/04/14 |
| Male Willow Warbler - first of 2014 for me (this bird weighed 10.7 grams) |
To the chase. 18 species overall and 94 new birds plus 36 recaptures of previously ringed birds made the books over the 12 days. Escapees were Collared Dove and Rook (they don't stick in small mesh nets). Goldcrest, Chiffchaff, Willow Warbler, Blackcap and Pied Wagtail were all new to this year's ringing list.
| 2CY male Blackcap (30/03/14) |
Goldcrest 3 (1) - possibly 2 local breeding pairs
Blue Tit 2 (1)
Great Tit (2) - scarce visitors - a pair
Chiffchaff 8 - all males except the last one
Willow Warbler 1 - male
Blackcap 2 - both males, adult and 2CY
Wren 1 (1) - a new male
Blackbird 1 (1)
Robin 1 (4) - off duty birds coming to the bird table
Dunnock (2)
House Sparrow 4 (3) - 5 of these were males
Pied Wagtail 1 (2) - a new male and a pair
Chaffinch 5 (2) - 5 males & 3 females (incl. one released unringed)
Greenfinch 4 (1)
Goldfinch 53 (11) - many birds on passage with good fat scores (F20-F45)
Siskin 8 (3) - mainly caught in their pairs, starting to nest
Bullfinch (1)
| 2CY male Goldfinch |
HI Errol Hope your pains are going away now or at least very soon. that was a great selection of birds. I am going to the Copeland is. next weekend, weather permitting adn I hope to see some bird ringing.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Margaret. I hope they let you have a "fondle and release"!
DeleteJust heard my first Blackcap today. Swallows seen less than 10, and willies 2. It's stayed cold up here and I think there's lots waiting down south just itching to get up here.
ReplyDeleteLooking to nab a few more wheats in the next day or two.
Swallows are still thin on the 'air' here, too, Phil. Chiffs are everywhere and Blackcaps keep piling in. Very recently, a big push north of plump King Harrys.
DeleteI have never had shingles, thank God, but my wife has and I remember her pain and suffering with the condition. I hope it clears up for you, never returns, and you can devote all of your time and attention to the important things in life - birds!
ReplyDeleteThank you, David. Now at the very sore/aggravating stage but I can get a good nights sleep at last. Missed a cracking male Redstart in the garden this morning (seen by birder house guest)
Delete