Under Rydon Hill

Welcome to this blog about my time away from the tedium of domestic management. Once called "Tits and Things", now sub-titled "Life in Quantoxia", there's plenty of bird ringing (90%), some odd bits of general birding, some local steam trains, some personal bits and occasional 'away days' in other parts of Britain. Rydon Hill overlooks the lower valley of the Doniford Stream, where most of these activities take place.

Thursday, January 23, 2014

3 years and 10 days

That's how long I've been ringing this site in West Somerset. And yesterday I ringed my 1,000th Goldfinch here.

During that time, I have had one recovery (outside a 15km radius of here, within which there are 4 local ringers) and that went 435km NNW in 7 weeks to County Tyrone, Northern Ireland.

I also have a pending control; a November bird bearing a French ring.

This works out at somewhere around £100 worth of rings for each of these two birds. It's one of the reasons we do this (to get these long-distance movements), on top of the other information that we gather, which helps to understand how populations behave (fluctuate) and what may be driving that.

2 comments:

  1. Just checking if you're ok and haven't disappeared into a big puddle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not quite. Could do with some of that Lanzarote sunshine, though!

      Delete