Under Rydon Hill

Welcome to this blog about my time away from the tedium of domestic management. Once called "Tits and Things", now sub-titled "Life in Quantoxia", there's plenty of bird ringing (90%), some odd bits of general birding, some local steam trains, some personal bits and occasional 'away days' in other parts of Britain. Rydon Hill overlooks the lower valley of the Doniford Stream, where most of these activities take place.

Friday, December 13, 2013

Sixteen days of dark

Hi again. We are nearly at the point when the evenings (theoretically) start to get lighter! I'm a SAD old git! and won't be waking up properly until mid Feb. Such is life.

A bit low on pics but I either forget to take one that will illustrate a point I want to pass on, or forget to get the camera out. [It's only a Fuji compact]. Ringing, or, more correctly, id in the hand is not always as straight forward as some will have us believe - nor as difficult as a few sceptics would either. The exchange of photos of "good" and "bad" birds can but help the less experienced to learn a bit more and avoid pitfalls.

Male Goldcrest - orange crown just visible
Ringing at home was a bit hit and miss, partly because of the weather and also because I was away 'up country', delivering Xmas presents, seeing old pals elsewhere and attending the 80th BTO Conference in north Derbyshire (mainly ringing, of course!) BUT, it's been good when I tried with just the two (semi-permanent) nets. I cleared the leaves twice and talked to the trees - but they didn't listen.

Immature female Goldfinch
with retained median/greater coverts
The biggest hit were the King Harrys (Goldfinches) which have only just started coming to the feeders in any number. 

Immature female Goldfinch
that has moulted all its coverts
They brought a few Siskins with them, too. The Redwings and Fieldfares are still taking berries but the occasional one sits in an apple tree, picking at the apples that are still left hanging on, up there where I can't get them. 

Redwing
My efforts up to the 11th succeeded in catching:

Collared Dove 1 - f.g. female
Goldcrest 1 (3) - 3 males
Blue Tit 5 (6) - birds of the year, except for 2 first-time breeders
Great Tit 1
Coal Tit 1 (2) - 1CY's
Long-tailed Tit 19 (5) - 16 together in one net!
Blackcap 7 (1) - the re-trap was feeding up for 'the off' (F1>F4)
Wren (2)
Blackbird 10 (1) - 4 adult females, 5 imm. females, 2 imm. males.
Fieldfare 2 - ad. male & 1CY female
Song Thrush 1 - adult
Redwing 1 - immature bird (123 wing)
Robin (3)
Dunnock 1 (1)
House Sparrow 2 (2) - caught during a chase (3 males!)
Chaffinch 3 - females, 2 adult
Goldfinch 59 (16) - 75 different birds, oldest from March 2011 and its first recapture; of the rest - 21 adults, (10 males, 8 females, 2 unsexed), 54 immatures, (25 males, 25 females, 4 unsexed); the females were prevalent in the earlier catches.
Siskin 3 - all adults

NB. I've taken out all the same period re-traps from the figures to give some idea of the number of birds present/ passing through. I always do this and put the recapture totals in brackets after the newly ringed birds.

Adult male Fieldfare 

1 comment:

  1. 16 Lottis all together - great catch E. A handsome Fieldfare portrait. I'm watching the Goldfinches coming and going but not enough yet and it's too windy. Roll on the equinox.

    ReplyDelete