If you didn't, you would cry. My computer's operating system decided to play up and wipe everything, including 99.5% of itself, one night doing a Windows Update. My days are now spent mostly re-building my system, my files and my databases.
However, when it first happened, I decided to take a trip to the meadows. The horses were corralled, and the grass is getting long, but I grabbed at the chance 'to get in the river' while it was low. I caught 14 birds in a 20' net, including two Dippers (one a youngster) and half a dozen Swallows (one a returning male). On the downside, I didn't take my camera.
![]() |
| Young Dipper - showing white margins to wing feathers |
Since the last post, the garden has been full of birds coming to the various food sources. Almost all are feeding young either in the nest or close by after fledging. The demand for supplementary food is just as high at the moment as it is during a cold winter's day! I am catching some new, unringed adults looking for a food source (?) and a few juveniles as they try to fend for themselves. Catching, on the other hand, has been "frugal", with intermittent attempts during spells of better "ringing weather". It seems at times as if the only birds around are juvenile House Sparrows (they're just 'bombing about') and Greenfinches. One 'up beat' moment came when I caught my first young Blue Tit of the year.
I was quite surprised to total up my efforts over the fortnight and arrive at 77 (different) birds of 18 species. 19 of these were 'old friends' - or re-captures to be precise.
Woodpigeon 1 - yet another "middle aged fatty"
Collared Dove 1 - a late 2012 hatch bird
Blue Tit 1 - my first juv. of 2013
Great Tit (1) - a male of minimum age 4 years
Swallow 5 (1) - all breeding in local barns
Long-tailed Tit 2 - mother and 'daughter' (?)
Dipper 2 - and adult & a juv.
Blackbird 6 (4) - 7 adults (5 males) & 3 juv males; odd bias?
Song Thrush 1 - adult female with BP
Robin 1 (2) - much less activity at present - 2nd/3rd broods?
Dunnock 4 (5) - 2 new males & 2 juvs; just 1 female
House Sparrow 15 (4) - 14 youngsters & 1 new female/mum
Pied Wagtail 2 - an adult and then a youngster
Chaffinch 1 - a juv.
Greenfinch 11 (1) - 7 young females to 5 young males
Goldfinch 4 - all newly hatched
Siskin (1) - a re-trapped youngster (10 days)
Bullfinch 1 - a 2CY male
Whilst walking the dog along by the river, I saw a pair of Kingfishers. They are definitely back, as I'm not the only person to have spotted them lately. Are they breeding after last year's disaster?
![]() |
| Juvenile male Kingfisher (caught on the same river meadow in 2011) |
I must get out more often! I'll report back when I do. Cheers.


No comments:
Post a Comment