Under Rydon Hill

Welcome to this blog about my time away from the tedium of domestic management. Once called "Tits and Things", now sub-titled "Life in Quantoxia", there's plenty of bird ringing (90%), some odd bits of general birding, some local steam trains, some personal bits and occasional 'away days' in other parts of Britain. Rydon Hill overlooks the lower valley of the Doniford Stream, where most of these activities take place.

Friday, April 5, 2013

It's a lovely day, today, ...

... that is, if you are looking out through a double glazed window and don't have to venture out into the stiff northeasterly and crazy wind-chill. 

As I walked around the village I noticed that there were lots of Chiffchaffs, Blackcaps, Siskins and the rump of Redwings cowering in the well stocked gardens of the larger properties, trying to 'eek out a living', mirroring the situation in my own premises. The wind has been too strong over the last few days to risk any mist-netting, not just from the birds' safety and well-being point of view but also on a pecuniary level (ripped nets caught on 'vegetation').

Over the Easter weekend holiday period, I did manage to present a few birds with a memento of West Somerset in the form of some BTO bling.

Male Chiffchaff (one of many)

Female Blackcap (first for 2013)
Magpie 1
Coal Tit 2 (1)
Long-tailed Tit 1
Chiffchaff 4 (4) - passage still on-going with birds remaining for 2-7 days. No definite signs of any females arriving.
Blackcap 5 (5) - 4 of the "winter regulars" (now getting fat, in preparation for the "off") plus a rake of newly arrived migrants.
Blackbird (3)
Song Thrush (1)
Redwing 3 - all adults (Euring 6)
Dunnock 1 (2)
House Sparrow (1) - a last year's juv male
Pied Wagtail 1 (1) - the second pair that visits for mealworms
Chaffinch 1
Greenfinch 1 (3) - much singing in the tree tops
Goldfinch 2 (1)
Siskin 13 (1) - and yet they still come, but few 2CY birds

Adult female Pied Wagtail

Adult Redwing (male)
Still no Willow Warblers spotted in this neck of the woods; perhaps next week? My stinking cold is, hopefully, abating in time for some better weather from this weekend onwards. If it warms up (stays above 5C) I might consider a spot of grass-cutting.

4 comments:

  1. Nice looking set of birds.

    I do like your header shot - the hawfinch looks a little shocked.

    I used to live in Northern Somerset - near Wells - but not much further south.

    I run a blog link thing (?) on my Blog on Wednesdays, called Wild Bird Wednesdays and it would great if you could join in. It would take about 1 minute for you to be involved and would connected you to bout 60 bird blogs world wide .

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne, Australia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Hawfinch wasn't shocked, Stewart. It was contemplating taking a chunk out of my finger!

      Delete
  2. You haven't got a Willy to swap or I would. Talking of fat, what about a Chaffinch of 32.8 grams? By the way hope you got the book. Wally in Florida did but I didn't get an invite yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Free Willy's" so far, so there. Finch pie on the menu? Book rec'd, ta.

      Delete