Under Rydon Hill

Welcome to this blog about my time away from the tedium of domestic management. Once called "Tits and Things", now sub-titled "Life in Quantoxia", there's plenty of bird ringing (90%), some odd bits of general birding, some local steam trains, some personal bits and occasional 'away days' in other parts of Britain. Rydon Hill overlooks the lower valley of the Doniford Stream, where most of these activities take place.

Saturday, July 7, 2012

Wet, wet, wet

I'll get it off my chest now - it's been wet and windy, most of all, yesterday and today. We've only had an inch and a quarter or so (32++mm) in 18 hours, not as bad as further south. The Doniford Stream is running high already and still has to reach its peak. I don't know when that will be as it's still raining!      

Today is the Village Fete. I was thinking of entering the BSD in the bitch classes as she had a bath earlier in the week. She'll be wet through again by the time I walk up there! Wonder if Diane (organiser and next door neighbour) has called the whole thing off?

Juvenile GSW

First up was this Great Spotted Woodpecker of the juvenile kind - easily told by its red cap [adult males have a red nape]. I knew that I had replaced the old peanuts with some fresh ones for a good reason.


Juvenile (female?) Blackcap
It was a relief to catch a couple of young Blackcaps around the garden, too. The male had started singing again but I had not got on to any offspring to date. Until this week.

Adult male 'King Harry' outside the kitchen window
I haven't caught any Goldfinches for some while now; it must be about 3 weeks since one hit the nets.

Small Tortoiseshell

Painted Lady
Last Saturday, the sun did come out and it got quite hot. A few butterflies emerged from wherever they had been sheltering and I managed some shots of two of them. There was also a Red Admiral but 'it' was very active and wouldn't settle for long.

I've been sneaking in bits of ringing in the garden at 5 or 6 o'clock in the morning, when it's not been a stiff blow. Not much to report other than it turned up a different set of birds, as you can see.   

Juvenile Robin
There are lots of young Robins around at last, and one or two of them are just beginning their PJ moult, showing a modest few red feathers in the top corners of their breasts.

The tally for the week was:
Gt. Spot. Woodpecker 1 - juvenile
Blue Tit 5 (1) - all juvs except the re-trap, an adult female
Wren 1 - a youngster
Robin (3) - all this year's offspring
Dunnock 2 (1) - two juvs and a 'daddy'
Blackcap 2 - juvs
WHITETHROAT 1 - this year's bird
Blackbird (1) - female with a good BP; third clutch?
House Sparrow (1) - last year's juv, a female with wrinkly BP
Siskin 2 - another local breeding pair

Total 14 new, 7 re-traps, 10 species

I managed a short spate of gardening on Thursday afternoon. It was very pleasant with a background of Siskin song in my ears - until the dustcarts raced round the corner, returning to base at shift end.


Male Siskin                                                                                                                                                                                 

No comments:

Post a Comment