Mainly passerine ringing in West Somerset with a few other things thrown in from time to time - now all about my new life in "Quantoxia" from January 2011
Under Rydon Hill
Welcome to this blog about my time away from the tedium of domestic management. Once called "Tits and Things", now sub-titled "Life in Quantoxia", there's plenty of bird ringing (90%), some odd bits of general birding, some local steam trains, some personal bits and occasional 'away days' in other parts of Britain. Rydon Hill overlooks the lower valley of the Doniford Stream, where most of these activities take place.
Tuesday, March 13, 2012
Going, going, . . . .!
Today I recaught the female Blackcap (51) that has been with us since the New Year. She is now starting to lay down fat and was fat score ESF30 and 24.5 grams early on. She's obviously looking to move on.
I have just re-caught the male Blackcap (53) that also had a fat score of ESF30, two weeks ago. His weight (early doors) was 20.1 grams and he has stayed around, although avoiding capture. Today his fat level was down to ESF10, but his weight remains fairly stable at 20.5 grams. There is a lot of 'in-fighting' with the second male over who should feed first at the Camellia bird table.
The other male Blackcap (77) continues to evade capture; on the last day of February he weighed just 16.5 grams, first thing in the morning. I'll have to put a net up in a new position if I want to trap him before he, too, leaves. I wonder how much weight he's put on?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment