Under Rydon Hill

Welcome to this blog about my time away from the tedium of domestic management. Once called "Tits and Things", now sub-titled "Life in Quantoxia", there's plenty of bird ringing (90%), some odd bits of general birding, some local steam trains, some personal bits and occasional 'away days' in other parts of Britain. Rydon Hill overlooks the lower valley of the Doniford Stream, where most of these activities take place.

Saturday, February 11, 2012

No go

Apart from it being cold, down to minus 10C, the Environment Agency have been in clearing the Doniford Stream and the bankside vegetation. The place looks like an urban park! However, spring is not that far away and the herb layer will soon spring up again, ready for the returning migrant warblers. No sign of any Chiffs yet, but them continental Blackcaps are all frequent on the village bird tables (3 resident in my garden alone!)


I have managed a couple of morning sessions in my orchard with some success. The problem is that when the weather is calm at this time of year, the sun is usually pretty bright, too. High vis nets are not the order of the day. I can't wait for bud burst - that's when the Chiffs return, together with the finches.

So what did I manage to pick up?

Blackcap (2)
Wren (1)
Redwing 1
Robin 1 (1)
Greenfinch 2
Goldfinch 4 (3)
Chaffinch 1
Total 9 (7), 7 spp.

I have hatched a plan to catch the unringed Chaffinches which will be put into operation tomorrow; that's because Ferguson (our local BBC TV weatherman) says it'll be cold AND overcast.

I've had to insert the photos via my other computer since my new camera is not supported on XP.
But I have now found a simple way around the problem.

2CY Redwing Turdus iliacus

1 comment:

  1. Weatherman didn't mention it was going to blow a half-gale! Ringing's off, pro tem.

    ReplyDelete