Under Rydon Hill

Welcome to this blog about my time away from the tedium of domestic management. Once called "Tits and Things", now sub-titled "Life in Quantoxia", there's plenty of bird ringing (90%), some odd bits of general birding, some local steam trains, some personal bits and occasional 'away days' in other parts of Britain. Rydon Hill overlooks the lower valley of the Doniford Stream, where most of these activities take place.

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Happy Christmas

Managed to "slip in" a session or two early on Xmas Eve and again on Boxing Day, in the garden before the visiting friends and neighbours arrived. Highlight on day 1 was this large adult male "grey bird", as it's known locally.


On day 2, I trapped another female Bullfinch, only the second here, the other five all being males of the species. Incidentally, I have only caught one down by the stream.

Garden:
Blue Tit 1
Great Tit 1
Blackbird (3)
Mistle Thrush 1
Robin 1 (2)
Dunnock 1 (3)
Chaffinch 1
Greenfinch 1
Goldfinch 1
Bullfinch 1

The day after Boxing Day, I was due to go to 'Clarks Village, a shopping outlet in Street. But before that, I set a net on the edge of the meadows where there is a wide Holly hedge that I had seen thrushes moving through. I duly got up in the dark and managed to trap 4 Blackbirds, one of which, a juvenile male (below) might have been of continental origins going by its winglength and weight compared to the other three "locals".


Meadows:
Blue Tit 2
Blackbird 4
Robin 1
Dunnock 3

There will be no opportunity for more ringing due to the 'social calendar' imposed upon me - unless a former trainee rolls up for some birdy fun!
[He rolled up - but so did the rain]

1 comment:

  1. Happy New Year E, the days are getting longer now, more time to watch the rain come down.

    ReplyDelete