Under Rydon Hill

Welcome to this blog about my time away from the tedium of domestic management. Once called "Tits and Things", now sub-titled "Life in Quantoxia", there's plenty of bird ringing (90%), some odd bits of general birding, some local steam trains, some personal bits and occasional 'away days' in other parts of Britain. Rydon Hill overlooks the lower valley of the Doniford Stream, where most of these activities take place.

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

A new 'crest

The weather has been awful of late; we have suffered strong winds which have precluded any ringing with nets and yesterday the skies delivered 24mm of rain to the village. And so, this morning I was not hopeful of catching anything at all. It was quite a surprise to find out that the skies had cleared over-night and the temperature had fallen to +4C.

I opened up the two 18m nets an hour before dawn in the hope of a thrush or two - no such luck. Shortly before sunrise I started to recapture some of the small passerines that roost in the garden hedges. An unringed Blue Tit came for a meal of SFH but found the mesh in the way. On its release, I double-checked in case it found its way back to the nets (this seldom happens, by the way) and was surprised to see another small bird exactly where I had taken a Wren out earlier.

Well, well. A garden tick and a self-caught one, too. Although I have ringed quite a few at coastal bird observatories over the years, I have never had one drop into a net on one of my own sites. Calming down a little, I took the following shots.




I should have stopped and thought before pressing the shutter! Unfortunately, I got a little too close, even with the macro, and should have used the zoom from further away on such a small subject. Never mind; live and learn.

The rest of the day was bright and sunny so not alot of activity around the feeders or the apple trees. Tomorrow is forecast for more persistent and heavy rain, but on Friday, we should be able to ring in some farm crops on the edge of the Exmoor National Park.

Over the last week, small parties of Starlings have been winging their way west, towards the moors, consisting of between 15 and 30 birds. Never more than three parties in a day, but hen my view is limited. I shall have to check out 'The Levels' for the large roost that will form there (as seen on TV!)

Today's garden tally, evens; 4 + (4):
Firecrest 1
Blue Tit 1 (1)
Great Tit 1
Wren (1)
Dunnock (2)
House Sparrow 1

C'est la vie!

No comments:

Post a Comment