Under Rydon Hill

Welcome to this blog about my time away from the tedium of domestic management. Once called "Tits and Things", now sub-titled "Life in Quantoxia", there's plenty of bird ringing (90%), some odd bits of general birding, some local steam trains, some personal bits and occasional 'away days' in other parts of Britain. Rydon Hill overlooks the lower valley of the Doniford Stream, where most of these activities take place.

Monday, August 15, 2011

Yes!

Following on from yesterday's blog and session by the stream, I decided to set a mist-net across the stream this morning for a couple of hours from shortly after dawn. I needed to return home early as the contractors were coming to finish the roof before it rained, and so I was prepared for just a short spell.

There was a distinct absence of Swallows today; there had been gatherings of 50+ over the last two days but this morning just two solitary birds making their way south. Likewise, I did not hear the young Dippers, wagtails or sandpipers. The only bird of note was a Raven.

I did, however, recapture my first Kingfisher, a young female, 30 minutes after setting up. Whilst walking the site with my dog, Cerise, I noticed a large party of Lottis and warblers making their way along the stream edge, moving upstream towards my net. I guesstimated that there were at least 19 birds in this group. Thankfully, some of them passed over the water, while others stuck to the bank. I had just got to the last of the seven birds when a short sharp shower ensued. Thankfully, my car was parked just 20 yards away.

The moving flock did me a favour in one respect; I now know where to set an additional net on the bank to intercept a similar movement, if I am just concentrating on birds using the stream at the ford.

Bonus bird of the day - Garden Warbler - my first for Somerset. [Coincidentally, Denise also had her first of the year yesterday, a little way to the west of here]. I am so used to handling these throughout the summer back in East Anglia.


This brings the tally of species ringed to 35.

Kingfisher (1)
Long-tailed Tit 1 (2)
Chiffchaff 3
Garden Warbler 1

No comments:

Post a Comment