Under Rydon Hill

Welcome to this blog about my time away from the tedium of domestic management. Once called "Tits and Things", now sub-titled "Life in Quantoxia", there's plenty of bird ringing (90%), some odd bits of general birding, some local steam trains, some personal bits and occasional 'away days' in other parts of Britain. Rydon Hill overlooks the lower valley of the Doniford Stream, where most of these activities take place.

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Some more ringing

Just the weekend this week. I returned from holiday to bright, warm sunshine and a good breeze. Still, it didn't stop me catching a few birds, most of them early on in the day. I was hoping to catch a few Phylloscs but the weather was too fair. Apparently, last Saturday was the big day hereabouts; neighbour John caught 11 new Chiffs and 34 Willies! I did manage a couple of P.trochilus though



The buds and blossom on the apples are developing fast, so it was no wonder that I trapped a pair of Budfinches.




Early doors on Saturday, I trapped my fattest yet, 2CY, male Blackcap with a weight of 21.6g [ESF 40, M2]; only one female 'browncap' was caught.



So, I ended up with 47 birds as follows:
Blue Tit 1 (3)
Great Tit 2
Willow Warbler 2
Blackcap 7 - mostly 2CY males
Wren (1)
Blackbird 2 (2)
Robin 1 (2)
House Sparrow 2
Chaffinch 2
Greenfinch 4 (3)
Goldfinch 10 (1)
Bullfinch 2

It is very useful being able to ring in our good-sized garden (old part of the orchard). Between coffees, I need just 12 minutes to unfurl all 5 nets (170' or 51m). What's more, I can keep an eye on them from my study.
I notice that the Sycamore is in full leaf, even if a bit limp yet, and the Alder and Elm have a 'green flush', while the Ash is coming into flower. The Speckled Woods are doing their dance in the dappled sunshine beneath the apple trees, which the hoverflies are busy pollinating.

No comments:

Post a Comment