Under Rydon Hill

Welcome to this blog about my time away from the tedium of domestic management. Once called "Tits and Things", now sub-titled "Life in Quantoxia", there's plenty of bird ringing (90%), some odd bits of general birding, some local steam trains, some personal bits and occasional 'away days' in other parts of Britain. Rydon Hill overlooks the lower valley of the Doniford Stream, where most of these activities take place.

Monday, March 28, 2011

Evens

A day with a good deal of retraps today, and 14 birds all told. Half were retraps, something I'm not used to as yet.

Blue Tit (1)
Chiff 1
Willow Warbler 2, both males
Robin (2)
Wren (1)
Chaffinch 1 (1)
Goldfinch 3 (2)


This was the first recapture of the tit, the 2 Robins were ringed on the first day, both having been caught 8 times now (this year). The male of the pair of Chaffinches was first ringed 70 days ago and the cock Wren not until the end of January, since when I have recaught him twice in a week.

The apple trees are beginning to blossom and turn light green. That should help disguise the nets!

Follow me on Twitter - @cardewellis - no, I can spell; it's a pun!

One of the Goldfinches (the latest, no.196) was carrying alot of fat [ESF 45]; it weighed 21.2 grams and made straight for the feeders on release. Obviously still on its travels.
I've told Phil it's on it's way. [310 km N] Ever the optimist!

No comments:

Post a Comment