We have been charged with providing a written report of the birdlife of this 30 acre new wet woodland - it's 15 years old - and ringing helps us seek out some of the birds and tells us a bit about their lifestyle.
One useful bit of info. that they found out was a roost of Bullfinch; they caught 10 new and 2 r/t at dusk. Behind there, there was also a roost of thrushes. One 'bogey' bird was caught at long last - a Great Spot. So far, they have taken to avoiding (or clinging on to) the nets.
I have added Ed's view of the weekend ....
Monday, 8 November 2010
A weekend near Aylesbury
Blackbird 10
Blue Tit 5 (4)
Bullfinch 11 (3)
Chaffinch 2
Dunnock 2 (1)
Goldcrest 1 (4)
Goldfinch 1
Great Spotted Woodpecker 1 [first for site]
Great Tit 2
Greenfinch 1
Jay 1
Long-tailed Tit 6 (13)
Marsh Tit (1)
Redpoll 3 [new for site]
Redwing 9 [new for site]
Robin 1
Song Thrush 1 [first for site]
Treecreeper 1
Wren 4
My favourites were Redpoll (unexpected) and Jay but I was also pleased with a Treecreeper and Great Spotted Woodpecker.
We also picked up a Goldcrest and Blue Tit that had been ringed elsewhere & not by us - I'd be very interested to find out where in Britain they have come from.
Above: One of three Redpoll.
Above: A Jay - for some reason Blogger has rotated this photo and I can't get it to change. Humph! I'll try again another time.
Above: Great Spotted Woodpecker.
No comments:
Post a Comment