Saturday night>Sunday morning - it rained!
However, when I woke up, it had stopped and the wind had gone too. After some humming and haaing, I decided to visit our (Bedford) CES site. Today was the first day of a new period, but we (Ed and I) had talked about doing the CES during the week.
To cut a long story short, I went and put up just 150' of netting for 4 hours. This covered half of the CES site only - and with a start of 8 o'clock, I was not apprehensive of catching much. The sun was out and there were a few fluffy clouds. By 12 noon, the nets were in full sun.
This was the first time that my new dog 'Cerise' was introduced to bird ringing other than in the garden. She turned out to be very well behaved and gave me no problems.
I don't know what's more expensive - having a pedigree 'pooch' or being a bird ringer!
Any road up, here's what I caught:
Great Tit (1) - ringed as a pullus some way away (1st retrapping)
Willow Warbler 2 - both 3M's, fat3, muscle 2
Blackcap 2 - both imm. males
C.Whitethroat 2 (1) - 2 new Euring age 3 & an ad. male carrying a good "fat-load"
Wren 2 - unmoulted juvs
Blackbird (1) - last weeks juv male
Song Thrush 1 - the 2nd juvenile of 2010 here (2 pairs nest within the sub-site)
Dunnock 2 - both new juvs
Greenfinch 1 - a scary juvenile, looked very young
Goldfinch 1 - a young one about to PJ moult
This morning (Monday) was wet! Overnight, a low pressure system passed over, dumping 25mm (1 inch) of rain on us. Walking the dog, I spied 2 Kingfishers making use of the stilling pond on the new estate opposite.
It's an agreeable walk alongside the brook here; the new flower meadows are beginning to establish nicely. Just waiting for the autumn cut - and then we'll be 'whooshing Mipits', all being well.
The view looking back towards the 'new' roundabout (estate entrance).
Mainly passerine ringing in West Somerset with a few other things thrown in from time to time - now all about my new life in "Quantoxia" from January 2011
Under Rydon Hill
Welcome to this blog about my time away from the tedium of domestic management. Once called "Tits and Things", now sub-titled "Life in Quantoxia", there's plenty of bird ringing (90%), some odd bits of general birding, some local steam trains, some personal bits and occasional 'away days' in other parts of Britain. Rydon Hill overlooks the lower valley of the Doniford Stream, where most of these activities take place.




No comments:
Post a Comment