Under Rydon Hill

Welcome to this blog about my time away from the tedium of domestic management. Once called "Tits and Things", now sub-titled "Life in Quantoxia", there's plenty of bird ringing (90%), some odd bits of general birding, some local steam trains, some personal bits and occasional 'away days' in other parts of Britain. Rydon Hill overlooks the lower valley of the Doniford Stream, where most of these activities take place.

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

"Last tra-ain to San Fernando ..."

My last chance to ring in North Wootton (Nfk) came and went all too soon.
After my 'dawn chorus' walk at Priory (Beds), I readied myself and the car for my mission.

It was almost lunch-time Sunday before I arrived, unloaded and got the nets out and put them up. Not a bad little afternoon session with 13 birds, of which a mere 6 were new. Chaffinch was to dominate the weekend with 4 males and 2 females.


The biggest male Chaffinch of the weekend [wl 91, wt 22.1]

As I was about to sit down for lunch, a raucous din drew my attention to something struggling in the net close to the pole. Knowing what "disasters" can happen when this occurs, I shot out and took the following quick pic before I un-picked this 2CY female with a stonking B3 brood patch [i.e.fully engorged].


 Female Great Spot. in its first breeding season calling out to be ringed!

By the end of the day, I was half-way through the week-end's total of 27 birds. Next day, I had to get my car in for its MOT test (that ran out on Saturday) at Gayton, about 10 miles distant. Jen ferried me there so I was able to capture a few more birds in the morning only. After lunch, I had to get into Kings Lynn and pick up and pay for the service and MOT. They still do things the old-fashioned way - that means real service and no bright lights to dazzle the customers!


Allen's Garage, Lynn Road, Gayton.

The day saw me ring my first 3J of the year, a sweet Robin, destined to become a female going by its wing length.


On some younger birds, the bastard wing (alula) has become quite noticeable due to bleaching. Here is a 2CY female Blue Tit from Monday's catch.


Faded alula on a 2nd year, female Blue Tit. (May 2010)

Tuesday morning was to be my very last session here. Although I lay abed 'til 7am (that's 2 hours after sun up), it turned out to be a bit of a farewell fanfare. Nine birds of just five species. Grist to the mill turned up as 3 new Dunnocks, an English ringer's bread and butter, and 2 retrap Blue Tits from last August. But, over breakfast, I saw a Jay through the conservatory window. A developing brood patch maybe, reasonable cloaca, 176 wing, 164 weight and 12 bars on the outermost gc and a broad tail pointed towards a 6 (hatched 2 years or more ago) and a possible male at that.


Early morning Jay. Note the dressing gown!

About two hours later in the morning, low and behold, another Jay! This one was definitely a 6M - everything was that bit bigger than the earlier bird. The little finger on my left hand, which is awaiting surgery, sustained a further injury and more pain as I thrust my hand out to hold the bird while I went under the net.


Late morning 6M Jay. Note the BTO sweater cuff by now!

Proper photo (none of these are cropped or touched up; it's beyond my comprehension!)

I finished on the only Coal Tit of the wekend, somewhat surprising, as they have been the real ' bread and butter' job for me round here these last four and a half years.

My efforts resulted in 27 birds, 15 new (12 retraps):
Gt Spot 1
Jay 2
Blue Tit (6)
Gt. Tit (2)
Coal Tit 1
Black bird 1 (1)
Robin 1
Dunnock 2 (2)
Chaffinch 5 (1)
Greenfinch 2


2CY male Greenfinch that has been on the last of the rose-hips

"If you miss . this one . there'll never be another one ... biddy-biddy-bum-bum ..."

No comments:

Post a Comment