Under Rydon Hill

Welcome to this blog about my time away from the tedium of domestic management. Once called "Tits and Things", now sub-titled "Life in Quantoxia", there's plenty of bird ringing (90%), some odd bits of general birding, some local steam trains, some personal bits and occasional 'away days' in other parts of Britain. Rydon Hill overlooks the lower valley of the Doniford Stream, where most of these activities take place.

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Surprise early doors

Having been up early the previous two days, it was no surprise that I woke early again, despite the alarm clock being turned off. Having used the two garden poles yesterday (see here), I re-erected the 20' just as there was a glimmer on the eastern horizon.

A wash and a shave later, a pair of Starlings had attempted to make for the bread on the lawn before 6am (BST). They were processed and I indulged in a little more toiletry before looking out the window, net checking. An all grey bird with a black head was hanging there and I shot down stairs quickly. It turned out to be a 5M (2CY) Blackcap, the first of the year for the garden.


Today's Blackcap X447901, 5M, 1 ogc, wing 75, 16.8 g, fat 1, muscle 2. @06:30BST

Then, after a breakfast of yoghurt and oat flakes, it was off to the park to lead a guided walk for spring migrants.

1 comment:

  1. Nice one E, I think the blaca would have taken some fruit with it.

    ReplyDelete