Did manage to ring some birds in the garden yesterday before the snow came. It was warmer than the day before (Monday, when I ringed the feeding station in the Rough) with only a slight breeze. It was a pleasure to catch the Song Thrush, which had a healthy weight of 84 gm. Then there were 8 Long-tailed Tits, a mum, a dad & an auntie, plus 2 sons and 3 daughters. There were nine not long ago, so one must've "copped it". The rest consisted of a retrap Blue Tit and a retrap Spuggie with a new adult male Starling and a 2CY male Greenfinch.
The light was still poor at 09:00
Today, I scaped away some snow along the shrubbery in the half-light and then put down a mix of sunflower hearts, mixed millet seeds, black sunflower, maize, wheat and sultanas. The first bird to arrive just after 8 o'clock was the Song Thrush, followed by a male Blackbird, a Robin, two Dunnocks, a female Chaffinch, a Blue Tit, a Goldfinch, two House Sparrows, a Greenfinch and finally 3 Collared Doves. By now it was close to 9 o'clock. More birds joined later in the morning, and, having bought some apples, I sliced them in half and put them out as well.

Passing the Rough (Priory CP)
Later this morning, I had to go and fill the feeders in the rough and put some seed down on the deck, a job that needs doing very two days.
As I write this at midday - it's starting to snow again!
How long will the buses keep running today?


No comments:
Post a Comment