Under Rydon Hill

Welcome to this blog about my time away from the tedium of domestic management. Once called "Tits and Things", now sub-titled "Life in Quantoxia", there's plenty of bird ringing (90%), some odd bits of general birding, some local steam trains, some personal bits and occasional 'away days' in other parts of Britain. Rydon Hill overlooks the lower valley of the Doniford Stream, where most of these activities take place.

Sunday, September 6, 2009

Underwing under net

For a week or so, I have been finding lines of moth eggs cemented to patches of the garden net, which is up permanently, but furled most of the time.

So one night, about 11 o'clock, I went out with a bright torch and caught one in the act. A quick capture, indoors to look it up, easy-peasy, Large Yellow Underwing. In the morning, I took this photograph.


Other feats of endurance, especially as I've had a severe cold (man-flu) all week, were to put up the new peanut feeder and cut away the nettles and other nasty things growing where 10 months ago there was bare ground (we'd cut the trees/bushes down). Look how they've grown; the Elders are well over 2 metres.

1 comment:

  1. I wondered what those eggs were from! I had some on my net in my garden on Sat! Hope the net isn't made from their food plant.

    ReplyDelete