Under Rydon Hill

Welcome to this blog about my time away from the tedium of domestic management. Once called "Tits and Things", now sub-titled "Life in Quantoxia", there's plenty of bird ringing (90%), some odd bits of general birding, some local steam trains, some personal bits and occasional 'away days' in other parts of Britain. Rydon Hill overlooks the lower valley of the Doniford Stream, where most of these activities take place.

Friday, October 19, 2012

Back home

We're up and running again!

Last week I returned to Bedford to attend to family matters and to do some shopping while I was there. I was back home last weekend and managed to get in one day's ringing before I was off again. The weather was not very conducive for much migration to take place, but I gave it a go in the orchard between the intermittent showers.

Birds caught (22) and ringed (19):
Collared Dove 1
Gt. Spotted Woodpecker 1 - young female (5ogc)
Blue Tit 5 (1) - just 2 juvs.
Coal Tit 2 (2)
Wren 1 - cock bird
Chaffinch 2 - of the female persuasion
Goldfinch 5
Siskin 2 - both adult males
Fema;e 1CY Gt. Spot. Woodpecker - note a few red feathers in the crown but buff collar
This was very much the same fare as recent efforts and typical of the month of October. Three species were conspicuous by their absence - Long-tailed Tit, Blackbird and Dunnock.

I then had the pleasure of travelling east and meeting up with my sole surviving 'C' permit  holder from Bedfordshire days. [My other 'C's and 'T's all opted to transfer to senior members within the ringing group.] It turned out that the weather was not very conducive  to "non-stop" ringing once again; being near the coast made it doubly so. A vigorous front passed backwards and forwards over much of southern England, depositing fair amounts of rain that caused local flooding.

However, I was able to ring plenty of my favourite bird - Goldfinch, while Amanda got stuck into Lesser Redpolls. My trainee got to grips with a few 'crests ... but I did wrest a Firecrest from her, the second this year, but eons away from the previous two, which were 'ringing ticks' at that time.
Male 1CY Firecrest
Back home, the weather improved albeit slowly, enabling me to erect a net in the orchard ready for the morning. It so happened that the day, (today), although not spectacular from a meteorological standpoint, turned out to be a steady one and I had 32 new birds by the end (tea-time actually), plus 4 "I had prepared earlier".

Total for the session, covering 9 species:
Goldcrest 3 - included all tail shapes, Euring ages 2, 3 & 4
Blue Tit 4 (1)
Great Tit 3 (2)
CoalTit 6 - all juvs.
Blackcap 1 - 1CY male
Robin 1 (1) - the ringed bird from July as a juv.
Chaffinch 1 - young male
Greenfinch 1 - adult female (1st for a while)
Goldfinch 12 - 50% adults
Male 1CY Goldcrest
The Siskins turned up late in the day but decided on a collaborative effort and stayed high over. One or two often arrive at 'first light' but always sneak in from next door and return the same way. I'll be moving the feeders the other side of the net to see if that entices them.

The weather promises to be 'fair' for a few days after misty starts; who knows, we may be in for some more birds to ring.

Note: individual birds that have been recaptured are always given in brackets, (n), on my blog

No comments:

Post a Comment